11. September 2008 04:42
DateTime Format for Blog Posts for BlogEngine.NET
...or wherever you want to standardize output formatting.
Here is a rather simple solution to my issue of Date Time formatting on my blog posts. I noticed that as of a recent version of BlogEngine.NET, the Date looked something like this: "29. June 2008 09:00" I wanted to change it to something more readable to my target readers, some very local, such as: "Sunday, June 29, 2008 09:00 AM". Well, I might want to change it sometime, AND I would like to drop it into multiple Themes, so I decided to place the format in Web.Config AppSettings. I looked up my specific Format and added an appSetting. Then I just replaced the code used in "PostView.ascx" and tested away.
Here's what you can do to implement this yourself.
- Go to .NET Framework Developer's Guide, Custom Date and Time Format Strings and/or locate your format string.
- I used "dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy hh:mm tt"
- Create an appSettings key such as: Custom.DateFormat and assign your format to the value.
- <add key="Custom.DateFormat" value="dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy hh:mm tt" />
- Now add the code to use the format string.
- original: <%=Post.DateCreated.ToString("d. MMMM yyyy HH:mm") %>